About PWJ Solicitors

We have served generations of individuals and local businesses, providing comprehensive legal advice.

The Law Society - Conveyancing




Changes to Civil Partnerships



The Civil Partnerships, Marriages and Deaths (Registration etc.) Act came into force on 26th May 2019. Section 2(1) of this Act authorises the Secretary of State to make regulations to amend the Civil Partnership Act 2004, with the consequence that, opposite-sex couples are eligible to form civil partnerships in England and Wales (provided that they would also be eligible to do so apart from the question of their sex).  Section 2(2) requires that these regulations are to be in force no later than 31st December 2019.


The regulations are not in force but we must have the regulations by next year which would allow opposite-sex partnerships to form civil partnerships in England and Wales.  The regulations on the conversion of the opposite-sex marriages are unlikely to come into force until some time in 2020 following the consultation period.  Until that time, the position remains the same – that only same-sex couples are able to convert their civil partnerships to marriages.


Posted in: Family & Divorce

Our Locations

Our office locations
New Rules for Registration of  Relevant Trusts and Declarations of Trusts Relevant Trusts in existence at 6th October 2020 (even if subsequently closed) must be registered with the new Trusts Registration Service by 1st September 2022 to avoid penalties and charges.  This rule also applies to relevant property trusts where the legal ownership position differs from the equitable ownership position; for example where a Declaration of Trust sits behind the Title with details of equitable owners such as where parents have loaned money to purchase a property and have their interest protected by a Declaration of Trust but are not named on the Title Register. Trusts formed after this date may also be subject to complex registration requirements. Please contact us if you are concerned that the above may apply to your Trust and would like advice or assistance with the process.